I’ve always been a big fan of salt blocks and licks. They are easy to buy and always attract deer in the area. Last year, I started making my own salt licks and it showed even better results than the in-store salt blocks.
I’m going to share my recipe for making your own mineral lick. It’s simple, easy and it works!
You should buy the following from your local feed store or Tractor Supply:
- 1 part Di-Calcium Phosphate
- This is mainly used as a dairy feed additive and for livestock. Comes in 50lb bag, usually around $12
- 2 parts Trace mineral salt
- Red and loose, non medicated. Comes in 50lb bag, usually around $5
- 1 part Stock salt
- The same salt you use for making ice cream. Comes in 50lb bag, usually around $4
- Mix your mineral mixture together.
- Dig a hole in the ground about 6 inches deep.
- Pour your mixture into the hole. You can also use a tree stump and pour your mixture on and around.
- Place your trail cam next to your salt lick to see what deer you are attracting.
Powered by Facebook Comments